CREDA is a research foundation supported by two institutions: Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC) and the Institute for Food and Agricultural Research and Technology (IRTA, Institut de Recerca i Tecnologia Agroalimentàries). CREDA-UPC-IRTA was born out of the need for formalizing a public Catalan research and development body in the agro-food sector, unifying and strengthening R&D capabilities and making these capabilities available to government as well as public and private sectors.
CREDA has evolved into a dynamic and powerful center comprised of a diverse and talented team of researchers, consultants, and technicians with backgrounds spanning economics, agricultural and forestry engineering, sociology, and environmental science. It is already well on its way to achieving one of the original goals of its inception – to become a reference center for ago-food economics and rural development both in Catalonia and internationally.
Central goals and themes of the research being conducted at CREDA include:
• Assessment of consumer preferences and consumer behavior towards agricultural-based products
• Development and improvement of agriculture and livestock competitiveness
• Sustainability of food systems from a systemic perspective
• Sustainable and innovative use of natural resources
• Livelihood strategies and preferences of rural producers in the face of global change
• Enhanced understanding of the numerous and complex interactions between society and the local territory
CREDA operates at the crossroads of the public and private sectors, perfectly situated to act as a reliable agent in the transfer of relevant and accurate scientific information which will assist actors at all nodes of food value chains in making informed decisions.
Have a look around our site, where you can find everything you want to know about CREDA – our core research activities, current projects we are working on, results, publications, and news, and personal profiles of the members of our dynamic team. Use the ‘contact us’ section to get in touch, and if you think you may be a valuable addition to our growing team, check out the job board for opportunities.